Homework Shouldn’t Be Banned for It Broadens Your Outlook: How True Is That?
Students of all ages share in the debate over whether or not homework should be banned. A sad few are on the side of keeping homework, while a very large percentage would prefer if homework would just disappear. However, what is the real status here; does homework help a student’s learning process or just provide an annoyance. In this article, the pros and cons of homework are examined and a decision is reached.
Homework does have plenty of advantages. Here are a few of the top ones.
- Homework instills initiative in students
- It provides a constructive way to practice and study
- In many students, homework acts as a device for memorization
- It provides a communication link between students, teachers, and parents
- Homework often provides preparation for newly learned skills
- Homework teaches time management skills
- Homework teaches planning skills
Homework carries plenty of disadvantages as well. Here are some of them.
- Homework is often overused. Especially at younger ages.
- Homework, particularly in vast amounts cuts down on time to explore other activities and talents.
- Homework often creates very high stress levels, which is very unhealthy in large amounts.
- Some teachers use homework as a form of punishment.
- Lots of homework often creates exhaustion.
- There is no specific study that says homework is guaranteed to help.
- Homework takes a lot of effort and some students simply to not want to give it.
So, after looking at these pros and cons regarding homework, does it truly help or is it more of a hindrance? It seems that there is no singular answer because every student, every teacher, every school, and every subject is vastly different. It would also seem that if homework is used correctly, the advantages are such that they outweigh the risks. Every person will have their own opinions on the matter, but the best thing to do is look at the facts.
Does homework broaden a student’s outlook? In many students, yes it does. However, there are also some students that simply do not gain a lot of benefit from homework. Although, homework is generally a tedious task, it is also a thought provoking one and that in and of itself is a benefit. Anything that causes the mind to work is a good thing. Is homework good or bad? It is neither good nor bad, it is simply homework and each person’s results with it will differ.